Post Operative InstructionsPre-op Appointment Day of Surgery Post Operative Instructions Tips
1. Follow weight bearing instructions from your physician. (If you have any questions, call the office).
2. After surgery keep dressings, shoes and/or splints clean, dry and intact. Use shower bag as instructed. If dressings get wet, notify your physician’s office immediately!
If after hours, please call our office (425-899-3234) and select the option to have your physician paged.
3. Take the pain medication as directed. Take with food. Pain medication can and may cause drowsiness, so do not drive while you are taking pain medication. You may take the Vistaril with Vicodin for better pain control or for nausea as needed. Do not take Tylenol with Vicodin.
4. After being discharged from the hospital (even on the drive home), keep involved extremity elevated with your thigh vertical and go directly home. Elevation should be one foot above heart level with hip and knee flexed. A laundry basket and/or pillow should be placed under calf for support. Continue elevation until your follow-up appointment.
5. Exercise your legs periodically by alternately flexing your hips, knees and ankles. This will stimulate circulation.
6. Icing instructions: place ice to affected surgical area behind your knee for 20 minutes per hour as tolerated. Making sure dressing does not get wet.
7. You may resume your normal diet. You may find liquids, crackers and toast more tolerable at first. No alcohol for 24 hours. Spicy, greasy or heavy foods should be avoided for the first 12 hours.
8. Keep the bandage clean and dry. Do not remove the dressing or inspect the wound. Some bleeding through the dressing may occur. This can be expected. If there is continued bleeding through the bandage after 24 hours, call your physician.
9. Your pain medicine can cause constipation. If constipated, take prune juice or Milk of Magnesia per label instructions at bedtime. In addition, drink plenty of water and eat foods high in fiber (prunes, fruit, bran, etc.) Discontinue pain medicine as soon as pain allows.
If you have any questions, concerns, or problems, call your physician anytime.
YOUR PHYSICIAN’S PHONE NUMBER IS 425-899-3234. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO REACH YOUR PHYSICIAN, CALL EVERGREEN HOSPITAL AT 425-899-1000 AND ASK FOR THE EMERGENCY ROOM.